I love the show Golden Girls and am sad because Estelle Getty or Sophia, has passed away this week. She was probably my favorite character and my friend, Amber, says I resemble her the most. Thanks, I think...Anyways, I can guarantee there isn't an episode that I haven't seen. The dynamic of 4 women in their "twilight" years, with completely opposite personalities, living under 1 roof in Miami is hilarious. In case you have been living in a cave for the last 25 years, Sophia was the oldest and some would say the wisest on the show. Her witty one-liners still make me laugh. Here are a few of my favorites:
Dorothy: I'd kill Gloria if she wrote a book about my sexual life.
Sophia: You'd kill your sister over a pamphlet?
Dorothy: Shut up Ma!
Rose: Do we have to kill the minks?
Sophia: No, Rose, many women like wearing coats that urinate!
Sophia: My hiney's asleep!
Dorothy: Fine... we'll keep our voices down.
The show was racy for it's time and brought up many issues that people didn't want to talk about back in the 80's like Alzheimer's. Watching it now, it's hard to believe that their material was cutting edge. Unfortunately, the Golden Girls seem pretty mild in today's tv society. I hope the shows will continue to air on Lifetime so when my days are blue, I am always guaranteed a good laugh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I love ya girl, but that show is one of the lamest shows I have ever (not) watched in my whole life. It's hard to believe that you, who I have so much in common with, find this show to be so amazing.
I worry about ya!
:-)
Ok, I am sorry that one of your characters has passed on. And, tell, Amber, yes, the similarities between you and a 100 year old lady is amazing! :-)
Sometimes I will go back and watch some of the old episodes that I think are really funny. My girlfriends and I in Virginia would even talk about how funny they are. I can't believe they could actually talk about some of the stuff that they did. Did you know that after Golden Girls went off they started another show I think it was called Golden Palace? I love the old shows.
It is a fun show. I can see how you would get attached to the characters. Strong characters in many ways interesting.
You are a very cool lady...
Ok Julie, I'm one of your blog stalkers (Kara's old neighbor)and hearing about Sophia passing has me just as upset as you! I absolutely adore the Golden Girls, Kara your crazy I defiantly know why Julie thought it was amazing. It is a hilarious show! It used to come on every night, two episodes back-to-back and while I was in college it was what I looked forward to watching after a long night of studying. And I have many fond memories of watching the show in its prime with my g-ma! God bless the Golden Girls and Sophia! I wish they would put the series on DVD.
The Golden Girls show makes me think of two things- first of all, my Papa. Papa would sit and watch that show over and over and laugh at the antics and then look over at us to see if we fully appreciated how funny they were. That is where my interest in the Golden Girls started. Then Julie and I decided that we would be the Golden Girls when we got old. Julie wants to be Blanche but she just is Sophia. Its the sarcasm. Anyone that knows me knows I am Dorothy. No denying it. Won't even try. The other members of our group are still open- we have had a revolving door for the other two! Obviously, one of the positions will not be filled by Kara! HA!
Yah, Kelley, I'm so glad you are out of hiding! We "Golden Girls" have to unite! Kara, I'm just gonna have to believe that you never watched an entire episode. There is no humanly way you couldn't have laughed a little. I even caught Josh snickering behind a magazine a time or two. I remember watching them with my sister and laughing until we had tears in our eyes. Seriously, Kara, if I would have known this, I'm not sure we could have been friends! (Ha!) My ringtone for Amber is the theme song to Golden Girls for crying out loud!
I am highly disturbed that this particular blog has caused such a stir in the blogosphere. I mean - c'mon - a bunch of old cranky, horny (yeah I said it) and on-their-way-to-group-home chicks sittin' around being crazy? This is your theme show? This is what you are naming yourselves after Amber and Julie?
Ha! Ha! I'm just having fun at your expense. Sorry. You are free to like your cute little show. Please don't start blocking me from your blog! :-)
i am waiting for further news on potty training!!!!! please!
Post a Comment