Ok...you would think that being a mom of not 1 but 2 toddlers, that I would have this whole mothering thing somewhat figured out. Nope. I made a HUGE rookie mistake recently and am going to share this embarrassing story so that it doesn't happen to you.
Lesson of the story:
Never, ever point out something to a toddler unless you want the word/action repeated.
Story:
Greyson observes everything. If you've spent 3 minutes with him, you know this fact. He notices when the clouds are moving, a sign that has changed, and people that smoke. We were at a stoplight and I was listening to his un-ending chatter and questions when all of sudden it got quiet. Eerily quiet. I looked in the back seat and he is intently watching the car next to us. I look over and a teenage boy is puffing on a cigarette. Great. "Do you see that boy, Greyson?" Perfect time for a lesson, right? I said "That boy is smoking. Smoking is very yucky and it will not only make you stinky, but it will make you very sick." Quiet again. No questions, just fierce concentration. He was just sitting there studying this teenager's every move. I'm thinking "C'mon you stupid stoplight! Change for goodness sakes!" Later in the day, Greyson starts to point out every smoker or "moker" as he calls them. He repeats my line of "that boys gonna stink and get sick." Ok, no harm done.
A few days later, one of my BFF (best friend forever in case you skipped 3rd grade), Amber, was over for dinner and we were hanging out in the toy room playing with the kiddos when Greyson drives up in his Cozy Coupe (Fred Flintstone type) car. In his left hand he's holding a plastic peg puffing it like a cigarette. Uh-Oh. So being the amazing support parent that Amber is, she starts to bust up laughing. I mean really laughing. She's having to cover up her face but you could still hear her snort laughter. (there could have possibly been a tear too, not sure, but maybe). So I try to gain my composure and ask Greyson what he is doing. He responds "moking." Amber laughs even harder as I am trying my hardest to look serious and not crack a smile. "Greyson, remember what mommy told you? Smoking is yucky. It will make you stink and be very, very sick." This was hard to do. Yes, smoking is wrong, but with Amber busting a gut and the sight of him "moking" this plastic peg, you just had to be there. It was hilarious! So I tell him to give mommy the peg. It's not nice to act like we are smoking. It's yucky. I go to take the peg away and he screams and says "No, mommy, I NEED IT!" Just like a true nicotine addict after 14 hours without a puff. He was just minutes away from shaking and losing it. Speaking of losing it, I lost it and had to turn completely around and laugh. I had tears rolling down my face. The desperation in his demand was just too much.
Since then, I've hidden all his cigarettes. He can't even pretend to be "moking." I should have never pointed out a smoker. I thought I was doing him a service, not actually teaching him to "moke." Whoops!
BTW...Amber you are a great support friend. Sorry, I had to throw you under the bus on this one. Love ya!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oh there was more than one tear rolling down my face- I was laughing hysterically! That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen a kid do! That is going on my funniest ever in my life list. I sure hope I am there for his next "funny"!
oh and you deserve me laughing at you cause you laughed at Anna during one of her very first time-outs! ha! if you can't depend on your best friend to laugh at you then who can you depend on? (:
Little girl is asking me right now, "what's wrong mommy? What's wrong?" - because I am laughing so hard. Little Greyson with a nicotine habit. Now that's a picture. And, Amber laughing hysterically while you try to discipline, well, that just makes it even funnier. Next time you better just say that guy you see over there has a disease and move on. :-)
(or maybe that could cause a few more problems!)
I'm glad you taught him this after Uncle Christopher quit smoking. :)
Post a Comment