Friday, June 27, 2008
Happy 4th of July!
"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival.It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward for evermore." By John Adams in a letter to his wife, Abigail Adams.
I love Independence Day. It's my absolute favorite holiday. I have such great memories as a child. Going to the fireworks stand with a few crisp green dollars and buying as many bottle rockets and roman candles that I could afford. The festivities always included grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. No matter who you are, the smell of a grilled hot dog is a great smell! I remember impatiently waiting until it was dark enough to see my allowance go up in flames. I was always afraid to light the fireworks. I would sneak up to it and take off running before the wick ever caught fire. My flip flops would spin out in the gravel, which made the whole experience even more exciting. My hand would shake like I was igniting an atomic bomb. Nope, just a bottle rocket. When I finally got it lit, I would run back, turn around, and hear it screech into the air making a "pop" noise and just a little smoke. So much fun. I'm hoping as a parent to instill in the boys how fortunate we are to live in a country where people died and are still dying so that we can have Freedom. So that we can be free to make our own decisions and life choices. It's not just about the fireworks and bbq's, but as John Adams said, a little "pomp and parade" doesn't hurt.
Thank you to everyone serving in the military right now especially my brother in law, Adam who has seen more war zones that one should at his young age. Thank you also to all the wives and children of the military (especially you sis and Maddie.) Thanks for understanding the cause and supporting not only your spouse, but our country.
This is a picture of the boys at some fireworks last week. Next time we see fireworks, it will be with Mimes and Pops! Yah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I can't wait to see how Anna does with the loud noises this year. Should be a fun time!
I was thinking about you this morning. I got your text message on our LOOOONG drive home from Colorado. We drove all night and got in today. 20 straight hours in the car! I know how much you love 4th of July! I miss you today and I hope you and your family are having a BLAST celebrating our freedom today! We will shoot a firework off tonight in your honor! I'll call you soon. We are sleepy and recovering right now!
Hey Julie! How are ya? Did you get the catalogs I mailed you? Let me know if you want to order anything by tomorrow because I'm closing my show. No pressure.
We should get together sometime with the kiddos......maybe splash time at the Nixa pool?
Post a Comment