Thursday, July 31, 2008

Cupcake Fever!

I've gotten myself into quite the predicament. You see, I meet with a group at Church on Sunday nights to have bible studies. One of the girls in the group just found out she is pregnant with her first child. The other mothers and I decided to have a "congratulations" party for her the next Sunday. I get on the phone and beg, literally, for this amazing hometown bakery (that usually only accepts orders a month in advance) to squeeze in my order of 25 pastel colored cupcakes. They did. Yeah! This bake shoppe was sent from heaven. It had to be. The cupcakes are like nothing you have ever tasted before. They are light, moist, and fluffy. The icing is butter cream. Do I need to say more? Butter cream. Ummmm.. OK, back to my predicament. At noon on the day of our "congratulations" party, disaster strikes every family but ours and another. Not good. Party cancelled. Great. I have 25 "deee-lish-us" (just as my friend Amber would say) cupcakes and no one to share them with. Oh, did I forget to mention that I've rejoined Weight Watchers and am painstakingly paying for every pound I lose or gain for that matter. Curiosity kills me so I Google vanilla cupcakes with butter cream icing to get some sort of idea on calorie count so I can convert it to points. 9 points per cupcake is what I learned. (this is after I ate 3 realizing I miscalculated thinking they were only 4 points. Silly me, should have known something that tastes this good would have more points than a bowl of fruit.) 9 points may not mean diddly squat to you, but I only get 21 a day. That includes everything I stick in my mouth whether it be a solid or a liquid. What do I do? I can't throw them away, that's just wasteful and foolish. I can't substitute a cupcake for lunch for 25 days. I have 25 cupcakes! OK, think. Then, this brilliant idea came to my mind. Give them to the boys. Reward them with sugar every time they do something good, like being nice to each other. Well, after day 1, I still had all 25 cupcakes left so now Plan B. Give them cupcakes after every meal. I mean really, at this point I've lost all dignity as a mother. Reward them for eating. 3 meals a day x 2 boys, yeah, that will work. It's worth the sugar high so I don't have to eat them. So away with Plan B we went. By the end of the 3rd day, they were like Pavlov's dogs. Ding, all done, where's my cupcake?

I've loaded my children with sugar for the past few days, introduced the possibility of cavities, and have probably forever scarred them to think they need dessert after every meal. That will cost me a therapy bill I'm sure. But hey, on the bright side, I'm down 3 lbs this week and licking the icing off the box only cost me 2 points.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Ok. This post cracked me up! Those 2 boys of yours are going to be demanding cupcakes from now on girl. What are you thinking? They probably won't just want ANY cupcakes either. They will want Beth's Cupcakes! We all know they are the best. 9 points or not - I would still count them as 4 and pretend I didn't know the difference!

I'm down 1 more point this week!

Amber said...

Just for the record- she gave tried to pass them off on my child too! She did indeed get one cupcake down into my child's belly. So now I am hearing "cupcake!" too (:

Anonymous said...

HELLO-O-O.......Julie.....I do not live THAT far away from you....your post has my mouth watering........I would have gladly taken a cupcake or two off your hands (for my kids, of course)! Your post cracked me up, so I thought I'd finally leave a comment! :-)

Christopher said...

But on the bright side, those were probably the best 27 points you've had in a while. :)