Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembrance

September 11th, 2001, a day that will never be forgotten.

I remember exactly what I was doing on that morning. Our 1 year anniversary was coming up and I was thinking about how we would celebrate it. Josh was getting ready for work and I had just turned on Good Morning America. The TV was filled with chaos. The seasoned TV anchors were speechless and had nothing to say with looks of confusion on their faces. I turned it up while watching smoke coming from a building. Diane Sawyer was in the middle of saying it had to be an accident that an airplane would crash into one of the World Trade Center Towers. I yell at Josh and tell him to come here and see this. At that moment, another plane crashed into another tower. I'll never forget at that moment what Josh said. "That wasn't an accident." What do you mean, not an accident? Terrorism didn't register with my brain. I'll never be able to get the vision of the Towers collapsing and people jumping from the buildings out of my head. Endless clouds of smoke. Phone lines jammed due to the number of people trying to call home. I sat glued to the television the entire day. I remember calling Josh at work and him telling me that no one was working, everyone was watching the news in disbelief. 2 more planes crashed that day, one into the Pentagon, and the other was diverted from the White House and crashed in a field in Pennsylvania.

In the days that followed, all I remember is more chaos. 2 hour lines at gas pumps because of the fear that gasoline might not be available. I remember it being impossible to buy an American Flag. Just about every single car had one on their windshield. Patriotism was the strongest it's been in a long time. I remember watching talk shows in the days to follow with people who worked at the World Trade Centers and were running late to work and their lives were spared. Crazy stories like one lady said she was so frustrated at her 3 year old that day because she kept taking her shoes off and hiding them during the morning rush out the door. That made her late for work and saved her life.

On the anniversary every year that followed, I would watch the specials on TV. I would listen to the husbands who took over Flight 93 leaving their last messages of love to their wives and children. I watched, I cried, and I prayed.

Today, 7 years later, I was leaving Starbucks and noticed that the flags were at half mast. My heart sank and all those feelings of loss and sadness came back. Today, I'm praying for everyone who lost someone on that day and I'm asking you to take a moment and remember and pray.

Lamentations 3:20-23 I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. (NIV)

3 comments:

Kara said...

I got goosebumps reading your post. We were in New York last year on 9/11 and it was so eery to walk the streets where it all happened. I have never seen people as a group more sullen in all my life. No one was upbeat in the city on that day and I couldn't believe I was there witnessing the parades to memorialize those that were lost and the flags and fireman and policeman that were literally everywhere flooding the streets of New York. I do remember and I will pray.

MommyMac said...

It's amazing that there are so many people that know exactly where they where at or what they where doing when this tragedy happened. I was getting ready for work when I saw it on tv. When I got to work no one had clue what had happened.

Lenora said...

ok julie I have to respond esp. after reading past blog on the outdoor peeing. when caren's twins were 2 they were stuck in blizzard on interstate heading home. ( now blizzards in northwest PA are not simple snow storms) Huge accident on road 10 car/truck pile up. Stranded, stop traffic, girls have to pee. She would have let them go in bucket if she had one in car. Ended up yanking bottoms down , hands holding onto window of van, feet up planted on side of van and let them go pee. Both of them,; would've let them poop too if they had to ! If ANYONE would've had the nerve to say a thing , she would have stomped over to their car and let them have it! I'm sure they saw it, but too cold to get out of cars and comment.
And recently, Mya ( 3 yrs ) had to go pee at a county fair. REFUSED to go in a port -a- potty, even though Amy is equipped with toilet liners, sanitizer, sprays wipes etc, always in her purse ( she is so like you ) because it smelled so bad and not clean enough,mya would not go. So mya
ended up at hotel bathroom across
road . Amy would have been thrilled 2 have been able to just let her pee in a discreet bush. I'm sure it will be different 4 Connor.