Ok, here we go. Tomorrow starts potty training in our household. I am in no way, shape or form looking forward to this. If I had it my way, I would continue to buy diapers. Diapers make my life easier. I'm in a pretty good routine with 2 kiddos in diapers. Change one, change the other, wait a while, do it all over again. No accidents and no potty fears of germs and other things that lurk in/on public bathrooms. That's all about to change. Greyson will be going to a 2, half days, a week preschool. They are the ones requiring a "pretty much potty trained" child. So the procrastinator that I am, we are just now starting with only 4 weeks to be "pretty much potty trained." I know all of you moms that have done this or are in the process of doing it are laughing right now and thinking that I'm nuts and should have started long ago. I couldn't do that, it wouldn't be procrastinating, and that wouldn't be me.
So where do you start? With somewhere to potty. I didn't buy a kiddy toilet because I think they are disgusting and why would I want to clean that thing out when there is a perfectly good toilet right there that flushes. It cleans itself! I did buy the little seat that sits on top of the toilet so he doesn't fall in. Josh wanted to buy a toddler urinal and train him to pee standing up. After much research, I found one on line called the "Peter Potty." Yup. That's the real name. Picture this....I'm calling around to every store that carries anything to do with babies asking teenage sales associates if they carry a "Peter Potty." It just sounds wrong and most of the time I found myself explaining what it was so I didn't sound like some sort of weirdo. I'm pretty sure every single person I talked to thought it was a prank call. No "Peter Potty" was found so back to the original plan of using our perfectly good potty.
This is going to be gross, hilarious, exhausting, and rewarding at the same time. So here I am armed with loads of big boy underwear and an endless supply of jelly bellies. I will set an alarm to go off every 30 minutes and try to entertain a toddler in the bathroom while we wait for the excitement to happen. I have no idea what I'm doing and I have 4 weeks to do it. Is this even possible? Can it be done? Looks like we're about to find out.
A friend of mine gave me a great tip about going out in public during the training days. She told me to put a pull up over the big boy underwear so if there is an accident, there's no mess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
God be with you! I used some insane book about potty training in 24 hours. You block off the kitchen take off their clothes and wait with tons of rewards. Best done in summer...If it is off the market it must mean it doesn't work.
Last I saw Josh didn't wear a diaper...
Love to you and can't wait to hear progress reports.
Best of luck to you- once again I am loving having a child right behind you so you can figure out how to do everything first and then tell me all the secrets! (:
AHHH. So this is what my dear friend is doing today. You probably won't even have time to read these comments on your blog because you will be ankle deep in potty duty! :-)
Well, just remember, even though you have a deadline hanging over your head, don't push him and let him know that you feel this huge urgency that he "get it right" right away. If he is anything like Little Girl, then he will use it against you and drag it out even longer. Forgive the accidents because they are gonna happen and praise all the good stuff like crazy, because these will happen too. I know you are going to cringe at this, but I really would stay home as much as humanly possible this week to really solidify it in is brain that you are totally making a switch here. I'm proud of you for going there even though I know it's hard with 2 little ones so close in age. Be brave. Buy yourself extra Starbucks and hang on!
Love ya!
Keep us posted on the progress!
It sounds like you'll be having an interesting month! Wish we could help (Not!). Hmmm, if I were him I'd want you to beef up your "Rewards" program. Maybe offer a better deal with the jelly beans? A kind of "Frequent Use" loyalty card"? Could Josh install a flat-screen TV in there? I suppose it's against the law to lock a kid in the bathroom until he produces something (though it bears some reverse resemblance to adult behavior). Most of us have used some combination of creative games, cunning ploys, crass bribery, gross amounts of sugar, rowdy praise, hysterical pleading, or blood-curdling threats. Or you can just relax, laugh and lock yourself in there with him until he earns another jelly bean. You're an amazing mom and d-in-law, and you're doing a great job with two awesome boys. Lots of love, Pops.
Julie - I landed on this blog today - thought you might enjoy it in light of your current life stage! :-)
http://littleptalks.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment