Saturday, June 21, 2008

0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds....

Tonight started off like any other normal night. I'm in the kitchen making "supper" as Pip calls it. A family favorite of sloppy joes and french fries. Except there's really nothing in them like the original. I substituted hamburger for turkey, white buns with whole wheat buns, and sweet potato fries for the Idaho yummies. I was busted within the first 30 seconds of inspection by my husband. So as I'm putting "supper" on every one's plate, Josh decides to take charge of drinks. Water, water, water, and juice. "Hey, no juice with dinner" I say. He then adds that it is Pomegranate juice so it's not really juice. I mean seriously, was I not aware of all the health benefits of pomegranates? They are good for just about every part of your body that is meant to keep you alive. I almost let it slide until he says "And, there's no sugar in it." Ok..I did lose most of my brain cells during childbirth but there are still a few left. Juice is higher in sugar than most sodas. Second of all, if there weren't any sugar in it, our 2 1/2 year old wouldn't be chugging it like an addiction. He said that its right on the front of the bottle, 100% pomegranate juice, no sugar. "Are you sure it didn't say no sugar added?" Nope, he replies. Well, I just couldn't let go. Up from the supper table I went to read the back (not just the front) of the label. 34 grams of sugar. My heart stops. It's 6:30 pm and bedtime is in an hour and a half and now 34 grams of sugar are racing through a 32lb toddler. This isn't going to end well. I can see it now. First we will have the "sugar spike" leaving the house and anything in his path in complete destruction. His little brother, Squeek, will get the brunt of it. He'll probably color our walls, break heirlooms, or try to burn the house down. Then the sugar spike will be known as the "sugar dip" and this phase is almost worse. There will be constant whining, crying, and full on floor tantrums. Pomegranate juice runs a close second in amount of sugar to Mountain Dew and Red Bull. I tell Josh that since he is responsible for giving him liquid crack at dinner time, he gets to take care of him. This must of terrified him because he immediately took away the 2 drinks of juice left and replaced it with water. Only time will tell if our little angel will turn into the Tasmanian devil. I'll take pictures of the aftermath and post on an upcoming blog. Pray for us.

FYI--I added a list of my favorite blogs to the left. Check them out and don't forget to comment!

3 comments:

Kara said...

Way to put your foot down mom. C'mon Josh. Seriously. There's no sugar in it? You'd think he was raised in a different country. Hee Hee! I think that an effective "you get em' if they act crazy" was quite brilliant!

I hope the tazmanian devil doesn't make any appearances tonight. :-)

Amber said...

Def let us know how that ended up! (;

Debi said...

Josh should know better...LOL.
Not my fault, sorry.
Def let us know.