Sunday, May 11, 2008

Vacation 2008








We took a much needed getaway this week and enjoyed some family time together. The boys had a blast exploring a new city, even in the incessant rain (hence, my horrible hair in every picture!). We visited a children's museum where Greyson showed Josh that he didn't need Daddy to help him slide down a 3 story slide. Josh went anyways and is still recovering from a knee injury. Cooper had a blast climbing up and sliding down these "roller tubes." It was hilarious to see him crawl as hard as he could and get nowhere. We also went to the zoo where Greyson now has a new fascination-Dinosaurs. They were life-like in size and sound. You would think a huge T-Rex snorting and screeching would scare him...nope. He loved it. He just stood and studied each one of them. At the end of every night we would put Cooper to sleep and Greyson and I had a little ritual. We would go to the 1st floor of the hotel, which housed it's own movie theatre, get some popcorn and eat it in bed while watching cartoons. He loved it! He couldn't wait to go to bed. On the vacation, though there was 1 incident where I wanted to literally die. It was one of those moments I haven't really experienced yet as a mother. Don't get me wrong, my kids are honery in public all the time, but never have I been mortified....until now. We took the boys to a mall on a short nap and bad nutrition, explosive combination. I was at the Clinique counter trying to get some foundation (Mother's Day Craziness) when all of a sudden I see Greyson playing with this cart that contains all of the makeup they use to do makeovers. Before my "motherly instinct" kicked in, I turn to watch the whole entire facial powder drawer fly out of the cart and onto the floor. About 40 compacts of powder scattered everywhere, breaking/shattering half of them. There was a cloud of powder so thick it makes fog look transparent. The compacts that didn't break aren't numbered or labeled on the back, so it is practically impossible for the Clinique ladies to get them back in their correct spot to sell. Imagine trying to put 40 different shades of brown in spots that read-"Sunlight, Tan, Olive, Khaki, etc.... They all look the same to me. Uh-Oh! Whoops! I was so embarrassed, they were so busy, it was just bad. Bad. They were looking at me with those "how come you can't control your child" eyes? The thought of acting like he was just my nephew and I was babysitting passed through my head quickly. All in all, traveling with the boys went pretty well. Again, you can't expect a whole lot of patience and perfect behavior from a 14 month old and a 2 1/2 year old. Josh and I did good for the most part, biting our tongues, and just letting them be boys. The trip was fun and much needed. As for a restful vacation....those days are long gone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How come you are not the proud owner of 40 new compacts? (: I am glad you had so much fun and made such good memories!

Debi said...

ahhh it is so good to have you back online.
clinique story--all i can say is oh, dear.
i am so happy you had fun with the boys and
josh.
take care sweetie.

Unknown said...

glad you're back - missed reading you! like the pic of you in the rain and made me consider that once again - greyson has julie eyes with josh face and cooper has josh eyes and... didn't think about the other parts yet. :) we'll have to chat soon!

MommyMac said...

It looks like you guys had alot of fun. I cant wait to come home only a couple more weeks.

Kara said...

Oh wow! Clinique didn't know what they were in for that day when they opened did they? At least he didn't throw a "Bazzinni" on you in front of tons of people. I still think mine was much worse......well, sort of. I hope you recovered from being utterly mortified! It happens to the best of us!