Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Enough is Enough!

Ok, I know you're thinking "Hand Update??" Is she nuts? What does that mean? Go back and read post "All for the Love of Coffee." This is Part 2, the saga continues...

Everyone that knows me, knows that I have an unusually high threshold for pain. Here are some examples that I will rate on a Pain Scale from 1 (nothing) to 10 (gonna die):

1) I was dilated to 5 cm and 100% effaced with Cooper when my OBGYN had a freakout at my check up and rushed me to Labor and Delivery. You see, I felt no pain, just a few mild cramps. Kinda irritating because they wouldn't go away, but nothing major. Guess I was in labor. Pain Rating-3
2) Greyson weighed 9 lbs 4 oz at birth. Need I say more. Pain Rating-4
3) Recently I had a reaction to sinus infection medicine that left my throat covered in blisters. I couldn't eat solids for 7 days. Pain Rating-6
4) I've had my tattoo zapped by a laser to remove it about 4 times. Now, this hurts. They are burning your skin with a laser and it blisters immediately upon contact with the laser. Ouch! Pain Rating-7
5) A coffee/soup mug fell out of cabinet and slashed my hand open, requiring stitches. I didn't go to Dr. for 12 hours thinking surely it would stop bleeding. Not a lot of pain, but a lot of blood. 3 1/2 weeks later though, still feeling a little pain and swelling. Pain Rating-4 Pain in the Hiney Rating-8
And this is where my story picks up...The pain in my hand isn't going away. I was pretty sure it wasn't broken, but for it to still be bothering me, I knew something was wrong. I finally (again, 3 1/2 weeks after incident) go to Dr. where they did an X-Ray to find out that I have 2 pieces of glass in my hand. Problem--hand has already healed shut. 1 piece of glass is small and could work its way out. The other piece is much too large and "in a really bad spot." Looks like it is playing "Kissy Kissy" with a bunch of nerves (that would explain why my pinkie tingles and keeps going numb). The Urgent Care wouldn't even try to get it out so they made me an appt this Friday with a hand surgeon. Excuse me, did you just say surgeon? Uhhh... All I heard after that was that I would be completely knocked out and hopefully they don't do any nerve damage. Fun Times. BTW...this is my right hand and I am right handed. Maybe I'll get out of diaper duty or baths for a few weeks. Hmmm... Stay Tuned for Part 3.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I am making my told you so face for the second time today (you know the same one I gave you about Oprah earlier today-hehehe- had to get that one in again!) No, in all seriousness, I solemnly swear to help my best friend Julie change as many diapers as needed after she has her hand surgery!

Kara said...

I'll change all the wet diapers. I think Amber really wants to do all the poopy ones. I am voting for no surgery! Yikes! Let me know how this turns out.

Lenora said...

I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands, and these hand surgeons are awesome. Recovery is "fun" on hand surgeries since you most likely won't be able to get area wet or use hand for a few days. It's usually the personnal hygene, and how well you can use your left hand in the bathroom :)!!
Katie had wisdom teeth out and went 4 months of off and on dry sockets before he realized he left itsy bitty bone chip in gums! pain level for her, -9

Lenora said...

check your e-mail soon. I will be writing you. It's been too long and I have much too much to say! Been reading blog faithfully and you should have a reality show! My heart goes out to you with your sis leaving. Kinda felt the same way when Len took off for 10 yrs! ( ask josh, was it really that long!) I think longer .God will bless you , and keep her family safe :)

Julie said...

Thanks so much girls for offering to change diapers. Now that I have it in writing, no backing out! Ha! Also, Thank You Aunt Lenora for the encouragement both with my hand and my sister. You are a blessing!